In light of the recent rise in racist attacks on Muslims (particularly Muslim women) in Australia since the new Terror laws were created and the killing of Abdul Numan Haider, I would just like the make one thing very, very clear.
Australia is using (forms of) terror tactics domestically, in response to terrorism that is not happening in Australia or to Australia, to try and quash any potential ISIL-related terrorism that might be happening within our borders.
After the 'terror-raids' in Sydney the other week, in which 800 “anti-terror” police officers stormed the houses of Muslims suspected of being involved in terrorism, only two men were arrested, and only one was actually charged. (The link above is to a live blog from ABC news detailing how the 900 police in both Sydney and Brisbane have so far arrested 15 people suspected of terror offences. More raids were carried out today in Melbourne, Victoria, and so far one man has been taken into custody.)
Just let that sink in though. 800 police officers to charge 1 man who may not have even committed a crime. In a country where we haven’t had a single terror attack related to ISIL and no terror attacks domestically since the year 2000 (the Australian embassy in Jakarta was bombed in 2004, but that killed 11 Indonesians, not Australians). In fact, the most significant terror attacks post-2000 that have killed Australians were the Bali Bombings of 2002 and 2005, which were not targeted at Australia.
If you see ANY Muslim being racially targeted, you have a responsibility to get help or be help to stop it. If you hear ANYONE, including your family or friends, praising the actions of the Australian Police or the Australian Government, you educate them.
What we are doing is blatantly racist, and far more like terrorism than anything ISIL is doing in Australian territory.
This perfectly summarizes why I love the Simpsons and hate Family Guy.
I watched that episode with my family and I could just feel how uncomfortable everyone was. Honestly, it was a really jarring, unpleasant episode.
Homer is a terrible dad. So is Peter. But Homer’s saving grace has always been that he tries—he’s bad at it and he fucks it up a lot, but he loves his family and he wants to be better than he is.
One of my favorite Homer moments is in “Diatribe of a Mad Housewife.” Tl;dr Marge writes a steamy romance novel starring herself and Ned, and when Homer finds out, he chases down Ned and, rather than attack him, asks him to teach him how to be a better husband.
There’s some part of his stupid self that wants to do better.
I never got that impression with Peter. Instead, the family has gotten more and more abusive towards Meg. It’s really unsettling for me when I started realizing that’s what happens sometimes in abusive families. Abusers sometimes single out one child to abuse, and quite often the other family members take the abuser’s side. After all, it’s easier to side with an abuser than to run the risk of becoming the target yourself.
There’s never really a point where it seems like Peter cares at all that his shitty behavior impacts his family. It actually seems to have gotten worse over the years. He expects everyone to clean up his messes because that’s always what happens; there’s really no reason for him not to be shitty.
And it’s easy to see how Meg is affected. She doesn’t have much of a character, really, because so much her screen time is devoted to being abused. The bits of character development all seem to hinge on her being this sad, neglected person who’s trying her best but never really gets any help from anyone. Quite the opposite; there have been a lot of episodes where her family sabotages any attempts to be herself.
It can be easy to forget how awful this behavior is when the only context is the show itself (frankly, everyone on Family Guy is kind of terrible). Seeing it played against the Simpsons, who are a flawed and dysfunctional but ultimately loving family, was painful to watch.
This perfectly sums up why I don’t like Family Guy.
This. ALL of this.
Can someone tell me what the ~hip places to go to at night in town are? Like what’s good on Wednesdays and Fridays and Saturdays because I am hella out of the loop.
lately i’ve been cleaning my room every few days, which is either an indication of how productive i’m becoming, or an indication of how fucking messy i can be
It’s that time again! :-) I’m happy to announce my 2nd tumblr giveaway, featuring cool new prizes as well as some old faves. This time I’m organizing it through rafflecopter, so be sure to pay extra attention to the rules!
1) This is a thank you present for my followers, so yes, you must be following me (don’t worry, if u can rough it through the patriarchy u will survive my selfies Be Strong My Sisters)
2) New followers are welcome and appreciated, but for the love of bell hooks do not follow only with the intention of unfollowing later. People put their time, money, and energy into giveaways, it’s dishonest and rude af to do that look at ur life look at ur choices
3) Likes do count, but I strongly suggest that you reblog too, at least once. (You must like or reblog this post at least once to enter! I’ll be checking.) SUPER IMPORTANT LIKE BEYONCE-LEVEL IMPORTANT: Be sure to record every entry on rafflecopter, that’s the only way it’s guaranteed to be seen, because that’s what I’ll be using to pick the winner since tumblr is notorious for eating notes on giveaway posts!
4) I will ship anywhere so no worries!
5) There are loads of ways to get extra entries and most of them aren’t even that annoying, so check it out on rafflecopter.
6) No reblogging to giveaway blogs it’s cheating and u know it *peeps at u over my rad shades*
7) Giveaway ends at 11:59 pm PST on September 30th. Stuff will be sent out sometime in the few weeks after that calm down friend you’re waiting for some cutesy bracelets not the third season of Orange Is The New Black
* Your choice of up to 5 feminist books (pictured). Yes folks a few of these are thrifted but none of them look like they were the property of the Half-Blood Prince don’t be a hater u capitalist pig
* Your choice of 3 buttons from my shop, hella awesome.
* Your choice of 3 bracelets - a full list isn’t available, but samples are above. Examples include: Feminist, Girl Power, Riot Grrrl, Khaleesi, Queen, Mermaid, etc.
* Your choice of 5 (individual) stickers from my shop - not all of the designs are officially up for sale yet, but you can still choose those designs!
* One pack of 4 Superhero Buttons ft Supergirl and Wonder Woman
* Your choice of one “No Uterus, No Opinion”, Powerpuff Girls, or “I heart Men” button
* One Wonder Woman Keychain
* One custom mixed CD of “girl power” songs (playlist is a surprise!)
Your choice of the following -
* One book and 3 stickers
* 3 stickers, 1 bracelet, 1 button
* 2 buttons, 1 bracelet
* A bracelet, button, or 3 stickers of your choice
Okay that should do it, stay tuned for additional info and possible additional prizes in the coming weeks!
Hey, I’m running a feminist giveaway on my personal, and I thought some of you might be interested! You get two extra entries just for being a follower of WKA. <3
Last day everyone!